Friday 20 February 2009

Recession

OK, so the market isn't feeling so good - but the media hardly helps here! Even the dear ol' Beeb were going on about even more job losses - another 450 somewhere (oh, any by the way, someone's creating 7,000 new jobs as well). Sounds like net good news to me. Does the media have to sensationalise everything? I can live with it if I listen to local commercial radio or read the Sun, but I expect the BBC and the broadsheets (as were) to be objective and let me form my own opinions.

But yes, times are hard out there - but remember many companies will use this as a smokescreen to review their cost base and offload cost (people) without being noticed. What to do? Same as ever in my book - understand your clients' needs, adapt your proposition, and get out there and stop thinking yourself in to depression.

My business, su53, isn't doing badly - and we've repositioned to move faster, accept smaller work packages from clients, adapted propositions towards cost reduction - and targeted taking on business that larger less flexible less dynamic businesses are missing out on. We'll see how we fare....

No comments: